Tuesday 14 November 2017

Catching up...

While I have been missing from my blog I have been doing a bit of baking, amongst other things. I used to do quite a bit of cake decorating about 25 years ago, but haven't bothered for a long time, my daughter and grandsons don't like jam, so shop bought birthday cakes have always been a bit of a problem.
A few weeks before her birthday my daughter posted a photo of a Unicorn birthday cake on her Facebook page, saying how much she would love a cake like that for her birthday even though she would be 34. I saw the pic and decided I would surprise her my making my own version of the cake, so I dug out what little cake decorating equipment I still had left, borrowed some from a friend and 
Ta-dah! a unicorn birthday cake filled with buttercream and no jam.


Not too bad considering how out of practice I am. Stacy was thrilled with the cake, 
especially when it was cut up and she saw the inside.


The only problem is that I have made a rod for my own back as she then decided that I could make the boys birthday cakes too LOL!

While I was in the cake decorating mood, I also decided to make a cake for my friend's husband to celebrate his 80th birthday, although he definitely didn't want a unicorn cake hehe!


I mentioned in the previous post that I am a member of 2 knit and natter groups, I also attend a hand-sewing group one morning a week, run by the local library, we are not a large group, but we are very friendly and all happy to share our skills and knowledge with each other.
We mainly do patchwork and quilting, but every year for the last few years I have made Stag's heads and given them away to friends and family, this year is no exception and over the past couple of month's I have made this handsome fellow, who now lives with my best friend Julie. 



Completely hand sewn and mounted on a plaque made by my very clever hubby.

Well I'm off now, but I promise the next post will contain cards!

Thanks for dropping in,
take care,
hugs,
Colette xx

2 comments:

Christine L said...

Hi There!

Thanks for sharing your lovely makes... the cakes are amazing and that stag.... just WOW! Now..... I think I NEED a unicorn cake!! LOL! (which by the way, wouldn't have been out of place on Bake Off!)

Christine x

Evil Cake Genius said...

Great and informative Content thanks for sharing with us. sweet Cake Stands